Balloon Drifter
I read my Bible today. It was tucked away with several other religious books. I pulled them out of my backpack anticipating to commence the hour or so of reading and researching to pump out an effective final paper. The Bible slipped out with the other books, and I was compelled to read it. Its pages had a familiar tone to them, one that I had missed. Final papers, GPA, medical school, and my so called "life's works" subsided. Those things didn't seem to matter so much.
I watched television tonight. I must say, I felt old. I became the adult who waits for the Monday night episode of Law and Order and the Tuesday night CSI. The adult whose nine to five job isn't quite satisfying, whose hope lies in others stories and fictitious characters. I've become this adult. Excelling in classes has become programmed. I'm expected to do well, and for the most part I do. I exceed my expectations so that's good enough.
I sat with my girlfriend. I felt normal. The kind of normal that is the antithesis of my family. We sat next to each other on the futon. She was reading, and I was mindlessly absorbed in the television and random thoughts from the day. I wrapped up next to her, and I was calmed. It's good to have this relationship.
With all this, I feel above the world. I feel like a shiny red balloon released to float the skies. But, I'm still anchored with a thin string in this case. It is a surreal feeling. A strange feeling that I'm close to God, have nothing in the world figured out, and love every bit that I see.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home