Enemy Teachings
The following paragraph was written in religion class on this day. We have been studying practices and teachers in Buddhism. This writing focuses on an enemy in our life that has taught us a valuable life lesson. The words are a free form of expression. The pencil did not leave the page.
We were young, and from what I do remember we did not care for one another. I was the smart, over-achieving, and hardworking son. He was an athlete and cared little for school. He was my brother. We would spend our time arguing about who was right. Nothing else seemed to matter but being right. I'd lash out with words, he with fists. We'd resolve nothing. I'd lock myself in my room for lengths of time hiding behind piles of homework and headphones with music. But, he taught me how to love. I couldn't abandon my brother. We were of the same blood. Fight after fight, I learned to be silent, to listen, and to love him after my anger had subsided. I was a Christian growing up with him, and he had no belief in God. To him, it meant giving up the things he liked that might condemn him in the light of religion. Yet, he taught me how to love God and how to love him. Patrick, he was my spiritual leader, devoid of the religion he instilled in me.
Yes, my brother has been the most religious influence on my life to this point, and I owe him much. I'll start with saying thank you.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home