...I believe in the sand beneath my toes The beach gives a feeling An earthy feeling I believe in the faith that grows... Matthew 16:25 If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for me, you will find true life.

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Slumber

I never realized how much of a break I needed from Emory. Waking up at 9 am, I showered and dressed to spend the next four hours sleeping in a car. We had a wine vineyard , Jake’s Sports Bar, a grocery store, and an outlet mall on the agenda. I slept through the morning along miles of smooth interstate and backwoods highway, recovering from my slumber long enough to eat a Titan Melt at Jake’s. The Swiss cheese and mushrooms saturated my stomach, but this only made me more tired. After the meal, I zombied to the car and hit the leather seats as if going into a coma.

My eyes opened to sunlight and a cold wind. The side door had been opened by my dad, and we were at the mall. I crawled from the car, hiding my eyes in the shadow of my hands. One store and two pairs of jeans later, I was done shopping. (Why do we call them pairs anyway?) We left the mall, and returned home. This brings me to where I am now.

A Saturday evening, I’m preparing myself to return the real world. Part-time jobs of library assistant and math tutor await my return. Homework rests in neat piles on my desk waiting to be ruffled through. But for now, I can rest easy in this warm bed. Three pillows and shifted blankets, I’ll lose myself in them before I go back. This is the night where I sleep peacefully. Like superheroes without villains, I’m going to forget about my work for the night and drift quietly to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home