...I believe in the sand beneath my toes The beach gives a feeling An earthy feeling I believe in the faith that grows... Matthew 16:25 If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for me, you will find true life.

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Turn on the Bright Lights

The MCAT is done. To be honest though, the test actually concluded four months ago, and with the closing of the exam and some additional brooding, the drama of "am I good enough?" has flushed away. So now it's essay time. The white light in my head is going off, and I have idea, idea, idea to jot down onto a piece of paper so I can crank this personal statement out. With one less job and the awkward down time until the first day of class, I am pressing my fingers to the keyboard until 5:00 am this morning for some draft (maybe not even decent) of a personal statement. I am simply excited.

Personal statements tend to be this long drawn out process. You have so much to say (a life story even) but not enough words to say it; not only that but in addition, every word uttered seems construed and constructed to glorify yourself in an ego-centric manner. Where's the humility in that? You can down play your attributes and activities but that just leaves you looking like another high rise apartment in satellite shots of Chicago. How to be unique? You just write. Write what you think, feel, believe (in the present moment) without rethinking. It's taken me four months to remember and practice the forgotten art. Now, I can write idea, idea, idea until the pages fill.

(This post dedicated to Jenn Eick and Jane Hershman.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home